June 22nd

"Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can
No need for greed or hunger
A brotherhood of man
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world

You may say that I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will live as one"
Imagine - John Lennon




I would love to think that one day people could share the world without strife and war. That we could all live together in peace and harmony, respecting each other and the earth that we live in. That everyone would have enough to eat and a safe place to live surrounded by love and happiness. That everyone would be happy enough with life to not yearn for possessions.

However, humans are passionate by nature. We feel things strongly and deeply. For the world to change so drastically would mean a whole change to society - and for that I suspect we would need to change basic human nature. I'm sure that some people are able to live in peace and not desire any more than they have, but that seems to only work for very small groups of people and often ones without immediate families: the life of a buddhist monk seems a perfect ideal but is it actually realistic if one has children and the stong desire to see them happy and safe.

I love having passion in my life. I think that our ability to feel things deeply and to be driven to change that which is bad around us is a part of what makes us human. I'd keep that over a world with 'nothing to live or die for' any day.

Plus - a world with no pretty new shoes....
Ever....
No thanks :)

2 comments:

willowthewysp said...

Brilliant journalling today!
And i must completely agree with your last statement!!!

Mary B said...

I agree completely with this it would be very bland and miserable if we didn't have passions and although shoes are not my thing I do so agree with that last sentence for me it would be clothes.