June 19th

"When I get older losing my hair,
Many years from now.
Will you still be sending me a valentine
Birthday greetings bottle of wine.
If I'd been out till quarter to three
Would you lock the door,
Will you still need me, will you still feed me,
When I'm sixty-four."
When I'm sixty four - McCartney

A great lyric to reflect on relationships or maybe the future




I've know this man for 22 years now and there's another 22 until I'll be 64. I know I will still love him then because loving him is easy to do. Even though at times I seem to see nothing of him, even though at times he drives me crazy with his inability to make a decision or even pick up a phone, even though I'll never ever love anything about him from his ankles down! We've both learnt the art of compromise and we know each other well enough to realise when our other half needs something extra from us - at least I like to think we have. It's not a perfect relationship all the time but it suits me very well and I have never found myself wanting anyone else since the day we met.

Keeping a relationship strong can be hard at times; life gets so busy and stressful that it can get in the way of people just being with each other for the sheer fun of that. On the rare occasions that we get a little time just the two of us it sometimes seems like we're a bit lost as to what to do, even what to talk about, without the ever-present chaos of our family around us. We used to go out on 'dates' when the kids were younger just so that we could get a little us time - sometimes I think we need that again now but we don't often have a whole evening where one of the kids doesn't need dropping off to some club or other.

At the end of the day the kids will only be with us for a little longer and we'll have the whole of the rest or our lives to be just two again. I certainly wouldn't give up what we have now just to get those days a little sooner.

9 comments:

Mary B said...

That is lovely journaling today so glad you have such a good marriage.

Lynne said...

Krys reading that was lovely and so refreshing to admit to 'warts and all' cos marriage and relationships are not a bed of roses and having kids and both developing, life and ageing does change the people we were when we met!
So pleased that you can look realistically at yourselves and will be fine when home alone together!!

knitkath said...

Lovely journalling! It is great when the kids are more independent and you can be "two" again, but they are always a part of your life!

Barbara said...

Great journalling. Love the bit about the feet. I hate feet too especially my DH's!!!!!

Curly said...

What great journalling Krys, it's fab to put pen to paper and say it as it is!

Minty Magic said...

This is such lovely journalling. It is quite refreshing to hear of a successful relationship nowadays. I hope you enjoy the next 22 years.

Steph said...

I love your journalling, very honest. I think we often look around and assume everyone has perfect marriages and ours is the only one where DH is driving us nuts! but you are right we still love them and wouldn't be without them.

willowthewysp said...

That is wonderful journalling! I long to feel like that about someone!

domestic goddess said...

beautiful journalling Krys