June 18th

"In Penny Lane there is a barber showing photographs
Of every head he's had the pleasure to know.
And all the people that come and go
Stop and say hello"
Penny Lane - Lennon and McCartney

Time to reflect on where we live




I live on an amazing boat called Parbold. She was the last working horse-drawn boat in this country, still working in 1960. When we found her she was sunk in a basin in Bedford and she cost us £500 to buy from the owner there. We had two kids at the time.

When she came out of dock (after being completely replated below the waterline and having a steel cabin added to replace the 5 layers of rotting wood and roofing felt that made the old cabin) we had 3.5 kids. There's still a load of work to do before she's anywhere near finished being restored but somehow life, and lack of cash, seem to get in the way far more than I ever imagined they would.

If I'd know how long it'd be before she was finished would I still have bought her? You bet! I love this old boat of ours despite cursing her regularly when she eats odd socks and hides my car keys and despite the awesome amount of work I still have to do before I can call her finished.

6 comments:

Minty Magic said...

I can't imagine living on the boat but it sounds absolutely fantastic.

Lynne said...

Love today's photo from you! Life on a boat sounds so idyllic! When are we having a photo of the whole homw?

willowthewysp said...

Brilliant!
I know too well how cash can get in the way of doing up a boat!!
As long as you and yours are happy...it doesnt matter how long it takes:)

knitkath said...

Long as you can live there does it matter about the finish? Bet you are all happy!

Barbara said...

Love that photo. Great to take just a small part of the boat. Sounds wonderful. Houses can take just as long to do up. I lived under the slates in the roof for 2 years in one of our houses. Took 8 years to finish it.

Mary B said...

Love this photo speaks volumes somehow.