May 16th

"Create"




My Nan died earlier this year (no commiserations - she had a great, long life and was well past ready to be finished with it). She spent all her life making clothes for herself - and for me as I grew up - and her knitting, tatting and embroidery were a permanent part of her daily life. She and my Mum taught me to knit and to sew but I never learnt to tat. It saddens me as that skill has died with her, at least as far as our family is concernced.

I inherited her sewing machine which I totally love! It's about 50 years old and it's solid and reassuring and beautiful. The gentle colour of the enamelled metal body is so strokeable and calming and the thought of all the things this machine has made over the years is amazing. My wedding dress was made on this machine, and my school uniform.

I've not done any sewing for ages and I had no idea if I would even remember how. Thing is - my Mum is getting married at the end of the month and my girls and I needed something pretty to wear. Trying to get clothes that suit the totally contrasting personalities of my glorious daughters was never going to be easy. Getting clothes that suited each girl and also didn't clash horrible in the photos was a task that filled me with dread. Only one solution really... get out Nannan's machine and go for it.

This whole process has filled me with trepidation and joy. Trepidation in that I had no idea if I could make anything well enough for a wedding (or well enough to satisfy my perfectionist Nan, who would undoubtedly be watching and assessing every stitch from where ever she happens to be now) and joy as they clothes have come together so easily and seem so right for my girls. Also realising that I can make stuff for myself forever is just wonderful. I rarely find clothes that I like and that have any hint of my personality in the highstreet. On the rare occasion that I find something I love it's normally well out of my price range or in some boring colour (or too damn small!).

From now on I CAN CREATE MYSELF by making clothes that express the me I want to be. How cool is that???



Couldn't resist posting this one too 'cos I'm just so proud of how they are going and I needed to brag a little - he he

8 comments:

Scrappy~Sarah said...

brag away they are stunning! Such wonderful memories....fabby and a great picture too

Barbara said...

They look wonderful. Definitely creating there. My machine mostly used for scrapping these days but I would be lost without it. Made my daughters wedding dress and all the bridesmaids dresses plus it has been used for curtains throughout the years.

knitkath said...

Those clothes look fab, well done! Nice to create originals! And old sewing machines are so much more reliable! My Mum taught me sewing,knitting,crochet and I love them all, but she never mastered tatting, my cack handed sister did though and taught me!

Minty Magic said...

Wow these are great. And you know they are originals and no-one will be wearing the same clothes as you. Well done you!!!!

Mary B said...

Well done you on making such lovely clothes and well done on your journal for today too.

willowthewysp said...

WoW!
Those clothes are stunning! Well done you!
I love your sewing machine....it must be great using a machine that has made so many things over the years and is full of wonderful memories:)

Shirley said...

WOW you have plenty to brag about a beautiful display of designer gear :)
My Aunt loves her tatting and when she visits sits in her chair clicking away (the shuttle clicks not her)and drives my DH mad.
This reminds me that she left me some of her border work, must use it in a LO soon.

Love your photo too, it looks a great solid machine and I am sure your Nan will be proud of you where ever she is :}

Lynne said...

I am sooooooooo imprest that you still sew and the girls will wear the clothes you make! they look fab clothes and although I too always made my own clothes I haven't done so for years and even nowadays Ihate altering clothes too :(